Monday, June 14, 2010

June 14 – Bog, Salt Marsh and Mi’kMac Hikes

It was kind of a dreary day but no rain so we did some of the recommended hikes in the park.

The first was call The Bog Trail. It was a giant peat bog with this great observation tower at the beginning of the trail

IMG_5590

It went off to the horizon.

IMG_5565 0614-1-Walk in the Bog

There were lots of interesting plants

IMG_5569

IMG_5577

IMG_5583

Since we were hiking in the mosquitoes habitat, we were swarmed at every turn. I was walking behind Stuart in full out netting gear watching a cloud surrounding him as he walked along the path. I had thought that the mosquito clothing would protect me but I discovered that as long as there was space between my skin and the mesh fabric, I was fine. I watched as two landed on my hand and bit me through the mesh. I did not understand that they could poke their proboscis through the fine mesh and reach my skin underneath.

IMG_5582

Next was the Salt Marsh trail. Still lots of bugs and we could see the coming rain off in the distance.

0614-2-Walk in the salt march

Finally was the Mi’kMac trail. The rain really started coming down but since we were prepared we did it anyway. It had a bunch of station with AV displays on the Mi’kmac culture.

0614-3-Cedars in the rain

IMG_5607

After dinner Stuart went back to the boardwalk to get some pictures in the twilight. 

0614-4-Boardwalk to the dunes 0614-5-BoardwalkIMG_5676 IMG_5662 0614-6-Endangered Piping Plover

No comments:

Post a Comment